I don't know about you all, but I am SO ready for Spring. This has been one of the snowiest winters I have experienced since moving to Western Michigan. I think we currently have over three feet of snow piled up on our back porch! The only thing that seems to warm me up on these cold nights are soups, or soup-like meals.
It was my husband's birthday on Monday, and the meal he requested was Chicken and Dumplings - one of his favorites. And it was a bonus that I almost had everything on hand, and it is a pretty easy meal to make! Check it out below :)
- 1 1/2 cups of water (or you can use chicken broth)
- 1 Chicken bouillon cube
- 3 cans of Cream of Chicken soup (10.5 oz each)
- Shredded chicken (we used 4 chicken thighs, but have use 2-3 chicken breasts before, it all depends on how much chicken you want)
- Lemon Juice
- Pepper and/or Lemon Pepper
- 2 cups Bisquick mix
- 2/3 cup milk
- Cook your chicken through and then shred it. (I always boil my chicken and then toss it into my KitchenAid mixer with the beater for a couple of minutes - shredded chicken that easy!)
- In a large skillet, boil the bouillon cube in water until dissolved.
- Add the cream of chicken soup, shredded chicken, a splash of lemon juice, and pepper to taste (I also add a little lemon pepper). Bring to a boil.
- Prepare your dumplings in a medium bowl (we used Bisquick mix: combine mix with milk until soft dough forms).
- Drop dumpling mixture by spoonfuls into skillet with boiling chicken mixture.
- Reduce heat; simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
What are some meals that are requested for special birthday meals in your household? Feel free to share below in the comments!